How much is the Apple mothership TRACKING your map activities?

1 view

Robin Goodfellow

Sep 19, 2021, 2:13:29 PM9/19/21
How much is the Apple mothership TRACKING your map activities?

This question arises as people discuss Waze, Google Maps, and Apple maps,
particularly for real-time traffic.

Waze requires a login (AFAIK), so it can certainly track you uniquely.

The iPhone essentially requires a login to the Apple mothership to work.
Hence, Apple Maps, being an Apple app, certainly can store tracking records.

AFAIK, Google Maps does NOT require a login (web or app), so the unique
tracking of your activities would be severely hampered on an iPhone.

Better yet, there are _plenty_ of real-time traffic apps (most from the
state or county or locality but some from outfits such as "sigalert"), which
do NOT require any login to any mothership.

Given those details, does anyone on here have any information whatsoever as
to how much the Apple mothership is tracking your navigation information
(given Apple _knows_ every app you've installed & how you use it)?

Jolly Roger

Sep 19, 2021, 5:18:16 PM9/19/21
On 2021-09-19, Robin Goodfellow <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> TRACKING

Oh my! Arlen used a *scary* word, and in ALL CAPS!! Everyone PANIC!
RUN!!! : D

> Given those details, does anyone on here have any information
> whatsoever as to how much the Apple mothership is tracking your
> navigation information (given Apple _knows_ every app you've installed
> & how you use it)?

The Maps app doesn't associate your data with your Apple ID, and Apple
doesn't keep a history of where you've been. Maps doesn't include a
sign-in, where you go isn't associated with your Apple ID at all.

Personalized features, like locating your parked car, are created right
on your device. Data used to improve navigation, such as routes and
search terms, is not associated with your identity. Instead, that
information is based on random identifiers that are constantly changing
so that Apple doesn't have a profile of your movements and searches.

Maps keeps your personal data in sync across all your devices using
end‑to-end encryption. Your Significant Locations and collections are
encrypted end‑to‑end so Apple cannot read them. And when you share your
ETA with other Maps users, Apple can’t see your location.

The data that Maps collects while you use the app — like search terms,
navigation routing, and traffic information — is associated with random
identifiers, not your Apple ID. These identifiers reset themselves as
you use the app to ensure the best possible experience and to improve
Maps.

Maps goes even further to obscure your location on Apple servers when
you search using a process called “fuzzing.” Because your location can
give away your identity, Maps converts the precise location where your
search originated to a less-exact one after 24 hours. Apple doesn't
retain a history of what you've searched for or where you've been.

Maps also protects your privacy when Maps extensions are in use. For
instance, for ride-booking apps, Maps shares only your starting point
and destination with the extension. And when you reserve a table at a
restaurant, the extension knows only the point of interest you tapped.

...of course Arlen (aka "Robin") isn't looking for rational or factual
discussion about any of this, because he's only here to troll. He'll now
resort to dismissal, lies, and insults in a desperate attempt to save
face. : ) Because that's what loser trolls do.

JR